If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, March 14, 2011

Homemade Sour Cream

5 cup salad with homemade sour cream

Ever since we got our cows, I wanted to also make my own sour cream, along with the butter and cheese. I've tried a few times, and it was good, but didn't really seem like the store bought stuff, which was what I was after, cause that taste is what I'm used to when it comes to using it on the 5 cup salad we have every thanksgiving.

Being the kind of person that I am, I thought it would be so cool to be able to make the sour cream from scratch, for that special meal every year...that is of course if we are getting cream so I can...and I do hope we are at least that time of year, cause I also need plenty of whipped cream. LOL

Besides which, the homemade dairy products, with our own raw milk agrees with my system way better than store bought does. Store bought sour cream doesn't disagree with me as MUCH as some things do, but it's not as good as our own. :)

I finally broke down and bought a sour cream culture, from cheesemaking.com, so I could try it and see if it was more what I was looking for. I made it this last weekend...and tried it today. It really did taste like sour cream, so I had to toss together a small fruit salad just to see what it was like on it. Hmmmm, it was really good!!! :)

Now I think I need to find more uses for sour cream...it's not something we use a LOT of, but maybe I can find more uses for it now that I can make my own. :)

Any ideas for me? What do you use sour cream for?

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to help, but I am not a fan of sour cream. *lol* ... But Joe loves it on his tacos and baked potatoes. :)

    http://scrapgrrl.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!