If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Replacing Honey

Replacing Honey

Meet Button...short for bachelor button (the flower)...she is the newest addition to this hillbilly farm. We have wanted to get another cow, since we lost Honey this winter, because our cows haven't been giving as much milk as they SHOULD be, since we moved. I knew we probably wouldn't need another one, once Snowball and Shasta got older, but till then the two we have just aren't cutting it.

However, I hated to spend the money for another cow right now, with all we needed to do this summer...but finally broke down and decided to go for it, cause I was afraid we wouldn't have any milk if I didn't, with the way things are going (although if it ever warms up, it might pick up again...it did the last short warm up we had...just not as much as I was wanted it to).

We found this cow in Iowa, she is on HER first lactation...and doing better than Clover is who is also on her first. Course that could be our fault, cause when we were so sick a month or so ago, there were a few days we didn't milk...which is kinda rough on them, especially probably Clover, since it was her first time AND she had just "lost" her calf due to weaning time.

In a couple of years, once Snowball and Shasta have had THEIR first calf, we will have to choose one cow to sell, as I don't really think we need 5 along with the boys and horse on 20 acres...but till then hopefully we can handle having all we have now, and hopefully they will start giving us more milk! LOL

Replacing Honey

Button doesn't lead as WELL as Daisy does, but we can manage to get her from one place to another, once we get a lead rope on her, which is helpful, the other cows we have bought sure wouldn't lead for nothing...except for Daisy.

We managed to get Button into the barn this morning, but it wasn't easy. However, it wasn't the major fight it was with Snowflake, last year, so there is hope for her I'm hoping. She is in milk now, so we have to keep her milked out...so hopefully she learns quickly that we won't hurt her and she gets fed in the barn...so she will go in without walking her around the barn a few times. LOL DH finally managed to grab her Halter, and then we were able to get her into the barn...getting her in the stanchion was a bit of a fight, till she finally figured out there was food there, guess she was so scared she didn't think about the fact that there usually IS food in a stanchion. LOL

Button is suppose to also be a month along in her 2nd pregnancy. It's to soon to tell if she really IS, but I'm hoping, so we will have a calf this year...since I don't think the other two we have are yet. Only time will tell! :-))

Anyway, just thought I'd share the lasted news. I'm baking cookies right now too for our freezer, so really should get off the computer. Seems that it's going to be a busy week, with several trips away from the farm. The snow is melting, and with the warm up that is coming in the next day or two, I'm sure we shouldn't have much snow left by the end of the week! Gotta love that!!!  :-))

2 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike! I did the cookie thing today, myself! I'll send you the recipe! I got a mess of half-pints canned with homemade cream of mushroom soup and almost a dozen pints of Pinto Beans with Bacon done, as well. Hubs took one to work this morning, which cut me short. lol Give her time, Deb. Just give her time. You're much further ahead with her disposition, compared to what we're dealing with here. She just needs to become acquainted! That's all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a pretty cow.

    I've been making a lot of cookies lately, thanks to my new KitchenAid mixer... But with Joe and the kids around, they don't make it to the freezer. *lol*

    http://multipleblessings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!