If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, June 10, 2013

Darn Dog!

Yani

I was sitting in the living room in my comfy chair reading the other night with the window's open so the cool night air could flow around me. It was a really good book, so I wasn't really paying much attention to the beautiful night sounds going on just outside the window...that is, until I heard IT.

The call of the whip-poor-will...that somewhat lonely sound I always loved listening to when I was growing up.  I used to sit on the edge of my bed with my arms folded on the window sill and my head almost touching the screen, just listening to the night sounds when I was a teenager.   I'd have sat there for hours if I could have stayed awake, especially if the whip-poor-will's were out.

I always heard them at a distance when I was growing up though...but the other night, it sounded like it was right outside our house...I didn't have to almost be hanging out the window to hear it really well.

I laid the book on my chest, as I lay back in my recliner and winged my way back to the past in my mind, remembering my childhood and my love of the whip-poor-will's call. I couldn't believe how close it was...and wished it would come around that close more often.  I've heard them several times since we moved back here to Missouri (although not THAT close)...listening to them was one thing I missed, living in Nebraska, cause I just didn't hear them there...not sure if they were there somewhere, but if they were they must not have been on OUR farm.  LOL

Just as I was sinking into the peaceful comfort it brought with it the other night, I heard Yani start barking...the whip-poor-will call stopped, so Yani stopped barking...then it started up again, and so did Yani. That was the last I heard of that wonderful close whip-poor-will...Yani managed to chase it away, and I just wanted to go out and wring her neck! LOL

 Darn Dog!!

She did redeem herself the next morning though...by protecting the chickens from a fox that was wanting to have a chicken feast...wish she would kill that darn fox, before it ends up getting all the stupid chickens that like to wander to far out!   We've lost a few chickens to it...hopefully we don't end up loosing as many as my parents did this spring to one, or we won't have any chickens left!  LOL

Yani really IS a good dog...not as happy since we got rid of the goats, but still doing her job and protecting our livestock as much as possible!  So...guess she is good to have around, even if she chases off the closest whip-poor-will I've ever heard!  LOL

1 comment:

  1. I don't think they have those kinds of birds here. At least I don't think so...

    http://multipleblessings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!