If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's a boy!!

Mama Mooo & Baby Too

After a week and a half (at least) of thinking Daisy would be calving at any time, we FINALLY have a calf!! The first one born on our farm! It was a little chocolate brown boy, born at 1:00 pm this afternoon. The birthing photos are all on flicker, I thought about posting a few here, but...decided I'd keep it cute and leave the yucky birthing photos on flicker for anyone who actually WANTS to see them. LOL

We knew something was up this morning, because she didn't come in to eat breakfast very fast. Once she DID, she ate and went right back to the spot she had been in, even though Mabel had got to go out to the yard to wander, and usually Daisy is wanting to go with her...so we KNEW something was up then too. Between 10:30 and 11:00 DH went to check on her and found her in labor. We all (two nieces and DH & I) went out and stood around watching, till she went back across the creak. Then everyone but me went inside for a little bit, and I stood out watching (I guess I just couldn't leave "my" cow, when she was in labor LOL).

Daisy went up into the barn first, then back out and over to the shed they wintered over in, and that is where she stayed...even when we tried to drag her over to some nice clean grass and shade, she ran back to the shed...so we left her there. I saw the water break, so went back to the house to find DH...and couldn't find him, because he must have gone out the side door when I went in the front. *giggle* I grabbed my cell phone, and went back out and found him walking towards the pasture.

After lots of pushing, more gushing water (which I caught with my camera) and DH and one of our nieces pulling on the calves's legs with each contraction, it was finally born. I would have helped...but really wanted to get photos of the process so thankfully our niece was gracious enough to take my place. She is a 23 year old city girl, so isn't used to this yucky farm stuff, even though she has visited us now and then, so it was extra nice that she agreed to help pull. Our 12 year old niece sat back watching the whole thing happy she didn't have to get to close. *giggle* I just wish Daisy would have had it out in the grass, so the birthing photos were better...and much prettier. LOL

First Calf born to us

He's a cute little thing, but so far I don't think he is as cute as the baby goats. *giggle* I think it will be really cute seeing him walking around with his Mother though. We aren't real sure if he is a Angus cross like we thought or not.

I would have liked a girl...but a healthy baby and mother is the most important, and besides, I'm sure God knows what we need, better than we do. Now the fun starts...trying to get Daisy to let us have milk, since she has a calf that she wants to save it for. *giggle* DH milked out a half gallon of colostrum this evening, to freeze in case Mabel's calf (if she IS with calf) needs some extra. I hope to get at least that much more, but we will see if he can get some in the morning.

Daisy wasn't really wanting her back two teats milked, so he was having trouble getting more...especially since he was out in the field trying to do it. Our niece and I were trying to hold her, but...that doesn't really work to well. LOL Tomorrow morning we will have to get down to the business of milking her some though...hopefully it's not as hard as it looked like it could be, when we were outside doing it...although she stood at first, so maybe she just figured we had enough. LOL

All in all it's been an exciting day, although a tiring one...I'm ready for bed, and it's not even dark out yet...although that could have something to do with getting to hot more than once today. I better get going, just wanted to share our latest news!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Grandma!!!! He's adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new baby! He is sure cute! ... I am SUCH a city girl... I don't think I could have watched. *lol*

    http://scrapgrrl.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!