If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, March 05, 2007

Cluster Frame Tutorial for Paint Shop Pro X


Open a new canvas, and place the picture you want to use on it, and then the cluster frame you would like to use. Feel free to resize them to the size you need, and move them to where you would like them placed.



Make sure the cluster frame layer is selected on the layer pallet, and choose your magic wand tool, making sure that the box beside contiguous is checked, so that the marching ants only go around the outside of the frames. Click anywhere outside of the frames on your canvas so the space outside of the frame will be selected.






Go to Selections, then Invert. (In Photo Shop Elements I believe you go to Select, then Inverse)











Then Go to Selections, then Modify, then Contract and Contract 15 pixels (or so). (In photoshop it would be select, then modify, then contract.)






Go back up to Selections (Select in PS) and Invert (inverse in PS)it again, so the outside of the frame is again selected. Then select the Picture Layer, and hit the delete key on your keyboard, OR go to Edit, then push Cut. The outside of the picture should now be gone, so it looks like the picture is actually several pictures put together.

With the magic wand tool selected, right click on your canvas, or go to Selections, and then select none, to get rid of all of the marching ants.
If you want to move the picture around, or add more drop shadow to it, merge the two layers together to keep the look of several pictures with white borders around them, being placed together, to make one picture. Now you can continue with your layout, and add more pictures, papers, and/or elements.

This is what I ended up with. I used my Dog kit to finish my layout (Kit Credit: A Dogs Life by Doxie Designs). I also merged my frame and picture so that I could add more drop shadow, and resize the picture and frame together, and move it around.

These photo's are some I took last year, when I took our Doxie's out to our hayfield, and let them roam around for a little while. I could tell our oldest (Crystal) was really slowing down, but didn't know we would loose her a few weeks later. I am glad I have these pictures and the memories of her (and the other two of course!) especially now that she is gone. I thought the photo I used with the cluster frames kinda looked like my Doxie's were book ends LOL

This is the first tutorial I have ever made with screen shots, (only the 2nd tutorial) so hopefully I didn't leave out anything! LOL I hope those of you who are having trouble figuring out how to use my cluster frames can figure it out after reading through this...even if you use a different program. If it doesn't help (and you use a different program) I am not familiar enough with any of the other programs to make one for them, and I am Sorry about that! Let me know if you use PSP X and this still doesn't help! I can always try to revise it. Feel free to post in the comments how you do it, as that could help people too!

Thanks, and Happy Scrappin!

9 comments:

  1. Your Doga are so adorable. I love this LO. Thanks for the tutorial I am so glad you made it. I'm excited it's been a while since I learned a new trick. As soon as I get my LO done I'll post it on my blog. Might be a few days my little guy is sick and needing extra attention. Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving me a sweet comment. Thanks again for the great frames!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Hi
    I am sooooooo appreciative of this
    tut.. i never know how they did that before...you have explained it
    so well...and I love the frames..
    Dollee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:00 AM

    I use Photoshop elements for scrapping so this tutorial doesn't help me a lot.
    But I have a version of paint shop pro 8 and I have tried to use this tutorial in psp 8 but I still can't seem to get it right like you do, but I succeeded in another way wich took a long time.
    I am not used to work with paint shop pro that can be the cause of my problems too I guess.
    So I hope there will be a tutorial in photoshop sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a layout using your freebie frames and posted it on my blog. I have been geeting compliments on the LO.

    I use PSE and just used your written instructions.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how wonderful of you to write a tutorial to accompany your cluster frames. I love that you have such cute shapes that are definitely not the norm. Fantastic designing on your part. You are a pioneer for the digi-scrapping world. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there I finally made a LO with your frames it is posted on my blog if you'd like to see it. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doxie, TY so much for these great frames. I love the tutorial, it really helps. Also, I emailed you privately, saying I wanted to share my creation with you...I forgot, I uploaded it to my FOTKI site...you can view it here...
    http://public.fotki.com/CandieDoll/ct_previews/austins6thb-day.html

    You do NOT need a pass word to access this one. Also, it is #14 if it takes you to the MAIN page of this folder. Sorry, sometimes it does and sometimes it don't. I would love to hear what you think about this.
    Please feel free to email me.
    and thanks again! I love your shares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:29 PM

    The cluster frames are great. Thanks so much for the frames and the wonderful tutorial on how to use the.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Hi thanks for this I managed to do a cluster photo using Photoshop with no problems - thanks for the alternative instructions this is wonderful - thanks for sharing

    Lillykins
    x

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!