If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thats my Dad!

Send in the Clown

You all know I love a good laugh, so when I was at my parents house this last weekend, and my Dad started setting up for a "self portrait" for one of his groups he is on on flicker, I had to get a few photos too. He didn't just do the ordinary kind of photo of himself, he showed his funny side and did one that looked like he was falling...and even had his teeth flying out of his mouth. You can see the one he ended up putting on flicker here...it's even better than mine! :)

I guess I come by my wanting to be different naturally. Why do what everyone else is doing, that's just to boring. I've never been one to follow a pack just to fit in better. LOL

Broken Ankle

Anyway, the reason I was over there this weekend was because three weeks ago my Dad had a "mishap", (which is another story, but not mine to tell *giggle*) and ended up breaking his ankle. Only he didn't know it was broken, he just kept working as much as he could, in between resting it and elevating it. However when I saw that it was still swollen two weeks after the "mishap", I called up and insisted on taking him to the VA to have it checked out. I was worried that something could be really wrong or it could develop a blood clot or something that could cause more problems. Yes I do tend to worry to much. LOL

Broken Ankle


The VA found out he had broken his ankle and gave him a "boot" he is suppose to wear for 3-4 more weeks till he is seen again. They said it had healed some, but needs to heal stronger. This of course was not good news, to a man who is used to working hard. Especially with it being summer and having things he needs to get finished before winter. The toe of the "boot" is open, so even going out and doing the chores, or mucking out the barn would be impossible unless you want to fill that open toe with the yucky muck that is always in a barn. So after thinking about it for a while this ingenious hillbilly that is my Dad, came up with the idea to look for a really LARGE pair of rubber boots, that can go on over the brace and keep it cleaner and out of the muck.

Dad's remedy


Dad looked online on Thursday while I did some things around the house and got packed to take him back home (we had picked him up on Tuesday and took him to the VA on Wed...so just had to take him home again). I figured since DH wasn't going with me this time I wouldn't do a round trip in one day...not liking to drive that much. DH needed to stay home to milk, plus he had had more than enough traveling the past couple days since it's not easy for him anymore. Dad found a pair he could order...but that would still make him wait a few days before he could get back to work so we planned on stopping at an Amish community on our way to his house and seeing if they had any big enough. He was lucky and found a pair...would have liked the next size bigger, but these work good enough.

Course there is still a problem in the morning when the tall grass is wet with dew, since the boot is short and doesn't cover his whole brace. So he again puts his thinking cap on...and the hillbilly in him comes out big time this time...and he comes up with this hillbilly overshoe.

Hillbilly Overshoe


An empty dog food sack, tied around his leg, over his foot helps keep the brace and his pant leg dry, as he goes about his daily morning chores. Not to glamorous, but...if it works, and doesn't cost lots of money....all the better! Now you know where I get my hillbilly tendency's...not sure how I got lucky and found another hillbilly to marry! *giggle* And no I didn't turn him, he was already that way...and has taught me a thing or two, not the other way around. :)

Anyway, this is why I had some unexpected trips last week...and why I wasn't around to "chat". I was off browbeating my Dad into going to the VA, and having fun taking photos of him and his "boots". I love him to death, and am not ready to loose him so have to get mean now and then. *giggle*

Between the photos I took, and the ones my DH took at a tractor show this weekend, we have added more than our share of photos to flicker in the past day or two. If you like to keep up on them, sorry to overload you! LOL

McCormick - Deering Cream Separator


While he was here my DH was talking about wanting to find a larger cream separator incase we have lots more milk every day than we are getting now...and Dad mentioned he had two of them, one that was on the place when he bought it and one that was his Mom's. So while I was over there my brother climbed over some things in an old shed and found one of them and Dad put in in my trunk to bring home after cleaning it up a little bit. It's in remarkably good shape, for being in an old leaky shed for so many years, and my DH is happy and is planning on how to fix it up already. The above photo is of it sitting in my Dad's barn, before it was loaded into my trunk. :)

All in all it was a good trip, even though we found out Dad's ankle was broken. It was good to see my family again. I even got to see my beautiful niece, because she came over for the weekend while I was there!!!!! :)

I do hope you all have had a better last few weeks than my Dad has...with breaking his ankle. Thankfully he can laugh about his "mishap" with us, which makes it easier to deal with to my way of thinking. Stay safe out there, and thanks so much for your comments! :)

4 comments:

  1. Your Dad sounds like a kick in the pants! *rofl*

    ReplyDelete
  2. your Dad has got to see this table, I instantly thought of him when my Hubby showed it to me ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVB4WNCeEdg&feature=related

    I'm waiting for my computer to come back, it went in on Saturday for repairs, hope you haven,t been trying to get me.
    Love your birdie pics and flowers! hug's, blush

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and check this table out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3YCo0l0-PI&NR=1
    amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, and wow Vanessa those tables ARE cool! I love how you make them larger and smaller. :)

    Oh and hope you get your computer back soon, I don't think I'm waiting for a reply on anything. *giggle* If I am, then obviously it's not real important, since I've forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!