If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, April 05, 2010

I love this time of year!

Up to her old tricks

Spring has always been my favorite time of the year...till fall arrives anyway, then I think it rivals spring in my affections. *giggle* However for the most part...spring is my favorite, because I just love seeing things starting to green up, and the flowers to come up, and the temps warming up...and hearing the frogs singing in the creek.

I also love that I can go outside more, without freezing or the fear of falling and breaking something on the ice, and visit our animals more. Tractor Buddy has been neglected by my camera over the winter months, since I didn't venture out much, but I caught her with it a couple days ago, when I went outside. She is up to her usual tricks...begging for attention anyway she can get it. This time she climbed up a wooden post and looked pretty for the camera. LOL

The cows are enjoying the fact that the grass is turning green, although I'm sure they can't wait till it starts growing faster. They still like a little hay to supplement the grass, but hopefully it won't be to much longer before the grass is growing fast enough to provide them with enough to eat...mostly I say that cause we are almost out of hay. LOL

I also love this time of year, because we celebrate Passover and Unleavened bread which means I do extra baking, of some yummy treats, that I only make this time of year. I could make them other times of the year...but am not really all that fond of cooking (well my love for cooking is an on again off again kinda thing actually...mostly off), and some of these yummy treats are kinda a pain to make. Especially the Swiss Butterhorns, but they are a tradition that I've made every year...and we both love them, so I force myself to make at least one batch. Course if I made these things other times of the year, they wouldn't be as special for unleavened bread, so maybe it's a good thing I don't.

One thing I remember my Mom made a few times when I was growing up, were some cheese crackers. It wasn't an every year thing, but I remember loving them when she did make them. So when I was over there this last time, I got a copy of the recipe, so I could make them myself, and see if they were as good as I remembered. Don't ask me why it took me THIS long to decide to make them...after all we have been married 18 years...and this is the first time I've made them. LOL I'll blame it on the not wanting to cook a lot. LOL They really weren't that hard to make though...so maybe I'll have to make them again next year. Recipe is below in case you would like to try them too. :)

Cheese Crackers

Cheese Crackers

1 C. Cornmeal
1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1/3 to 1/2 C. Melted Butter
2/3 C Grated Cheese
1/4 C. Milk
Garlic Salt

Mix Dry Ingredients together, stir in melted butter, cheese & milk. Stir until dry ingredients are damp, and sticks together when pressed with your fingers. Turn out on to lightly floured board, knead gently for a few seconds.

Roll out to 1/8th inch thick, cut with biscuit cutter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 12-15 minuets or until delicately brown.

**Note** Mom's recipe called for 1/3 cup oil, however since we have fresh homemade butter, I try to use it for as much as possible...saves on money that way LOL...so I melted a 1/3 cup of it and used it in place of the oil. I had to add a little more to make the dough stick together, which is why I put 1/3 to 1/2 cup in the ingredient list, I'm not sure just how much to use since I've only made this once...so you decide.

I also used garlic powder instead of salt...since I don't usually have garlic salt around. You could always salt each cracker too, but we liked them with just the garlic powder on them. :)


Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend! Ours was nice and quiet here. Hopefully....if all goes well....I can get some scrapping done this week. Even just one or two pages would be better than I've been doing. Guess it depends on if I have to do to much more baking, or anything else comes up. LOL Only time will tell.

Have a great week! :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh those crackers look delicious! I will have to try this recipe! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a PERFECT picture of Tractor Buddy!!! She is SUCH a beautiful cat! (I want to take her home with me *lol*)

    http://scrapgrrl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrounger10:59 AM

    If you stop by, and leave your door open, the cat usually jumps in. We've had to "rescue" her from vehicles on several occasions. This is just another photo of a crazy cat, going "postal"....

    The crackers are wonderful, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crackers look yummy! And what a beautiful plate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tammy L, I LOVE china, and have been blessed with a lot of my Grandmothers, although I don't think this was one of them...just have a cup and saucer with that pattern, would LOVE more of it. :) I had to use it for this, because it reminds me of spring! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!