If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Friday, December 03, 2010

Fencing

Working on fence

Well this week has been all about fencing. There was quite a big piece of our property that didn't have a fence around it, from when we sold the other part of the property. Most of the posts were in, just not the fence. So since a friend came to help DH, since his back is getting bad, that was the biggest thing he wanted to get done this week...well as done as we could get it, without having enough money to make sure we had EVERYTHING we needed.

They have been working long hours on it, and finally have it as done as it's going to get for now, till we can come up with what we need for the creek crossings. I walked out and got a couple photos of them just as they were finishing up. It's not NEW wire, but that's ok with us, cause we just can't afford to buy new most of the time...and the old will keep the cows in about as good as new would....and that's all that really matters.

Working on fence

I caught them as they climbed the hill again, back to the truck. DH is tired I know...not sure about Ryan, I'm sure he's glad it's done. *giggle*

Course now DH has him cutting some of the scrub cedars down around a big pile of junk that needs burned...so this winter sometime when there is snow, he can make that pile go away. There is so much that could be done outside, that Ryan could stay here for a month I think, without running out of things to do. LOL It's going to feel so good to have that fence done though...hopefully by spring we can get the panels we need for the creek crossings and get it finished up so the cows can be over there next year, instead of in our hay field. We will see how things go.

Thankfully they didn't need my help, so I could stay inside (for the most part) where it was warmer. I was sorting through some things in the bedroom and sewing room when I found a book teaching how to knit (and crochet) so I sat and tried to figure that out for a little bit again, and just couldn't manage it. I need that "hook" on the end to grab the yarn...and since knitting needles don't have it, I find it hard to do. This is at least the 3 or 4th time I've tried to learn and I guess I'm just to stupid to be able to knit. *giggle*

crochet dishcloth

The only reason I really wanted to learn to knit again, was so I could knit my own dish cloths like a friend sent me. Even though she is actually making me some more, I wanted to be able to do it myself, so I'd never have to buy those nasty store bought ones again.

However, since I once again gave up on learning to knit, I got to wondering if there was something that was crochet, but closer to knitting. I kinda remembered something like that from the days I did more of it, but since it had been a long time since then, I couldn't remember.

I went and googled it, and found that some people say the Afghan stitch crochet is a cross between knitting and crochet...so I got to work and relearned how to do it. (I'd played with it before, just had forgotten.) The middle part of the dishrag above, is done in that afghan stitch. I did this between yesterday and this morning. I've not actually used it yet, to see if I will like it, but it will at least be better than those store bought things so I'm sure I'll be making more of them.

I do like the knitted ones the best...but since my talent doesn't seem to lie in that direction, I'll have to make do with my crochet. LOL I've never been good enough at crochet even, to have the crochet loose enough that it's really soft feeling like would be nice, but I do enjoy doing it at least. :)

Well I better run, still have a bunch that I need to do around here, since I took the time out this morning to finish that "test" dish rag. I did manage to make another batch of bread though, since Ryan ground me some flour this morning while hubby was milking, because we have gone though a ton of it this week. LOL Ryan had never had homemade bread...but I guess he likes it! :)

Have a great weekend! :)

1 comment:

  1. It's nice that you have someone who's willing to lend a hand around the place. :)

    My mom taught me to knit and crochet when I was a girl, but I always got bored while doing it and stopped... I don't even remember how anymore. *lol*

    http://scrapgrrl.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!