If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Thursday, November 10, 2011

Beef tongue

Whats left of the beef tongue

Have you ever cooked up a beef tongue? Yes, it may sound kinda gross, but really it's not! It's wonderful!!

I was cleaning out the freezer yesterday, getting it defrosted and everything compiled onto the top couple shelves, so we had room for more deer, since deer season starts this weekend, when I discovered we hadn't cooked the tongue we had saved from the cow we butchered last year.

DH happened to be walking through the room when I was putting things back into the freezer, and grabbed the package the tongue was in so he could thaw it out and cook it. This morning he dropped it into the crockpot, with some salt, pepper and Mrs Dash, and let it cook all day.

This evening we chowed down on it...somehow we can NEVER wait till the next day to have it in a sandwich, or some other way, we end up having a evening snack and eating most of it up. LOL The above photo is all that is left...and it's not much. The container it's in holds a cup, if you stuff it full, all the way to the top. Guess it's a good thing we don't have to many of them...since they never last around us. LOL

If you ever get the chance to try it, even though you may think it sounds gross, do!! It's the most tasty part of the cow to us, and cooked in the crockpot, is really tender...my fork just slid right through it, without knowing it was there. Oh, and if you just can't bring yourself to eat the tongue, but are butchering a cow, by all means send it our way...we'll take care of it for you! :-))

It's been a busy week for me, been trying to catch up on a few things. I've gotten a lot done, but still have a few left for tomorrow. Then I should be ready for deer season. Deer season usually slows me down on what I can get done around here, so I try not to have to many things I NEED to get done that week. As soon as deer season is over, it's time to start cooking for Thanksgiving...so I didn't want these other things hanging over my head to do before the holiday. I don't know yet if we will have any company this year, but even if we don't, I like to do our traditional meal...it is after all my favorite holiday! :-))

Well I better get off here and head to bed...gotta give Peaches her "play time" yet, and need to get to sleep so I can crawl out of bed at a decent hour tomorrow and get the rest of my list accomplished (hopefully).

Maybe if I get up early, I can steal the rest of the tongue, before hubby does...wonder if I went and hid it in the back of the fridge, if he would find it! *snicker* Ok, I'll be nice and share...a little bit of it...maybe. :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd LOVE to hear from you!