If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing please contact me so I can fix the links!


Tuesday, August 19, 2008

This really SHOULD be Monday!

Meet Yani, our new LGD. LGD stands for Livestock Guard Dog. She is kinda pretty, large, and really friendly. Least she has been to us so far. LOL Probably going to eat us out of house and home, but if we can get her trained the way WE want her, it will be worth it. We got her this last weekend, down in Kansas, she was the first dog to ride in our car, since we got it...our Doxie's are so jealous! *giggle*

Hopefully she will prevent anymore mountain lion/coyote/large stray dog's getting anymore goats. Still not sure what got the other one, just think its odd to have heard a mountain lion had been spotted in the area, the day we found out a goat was killed. We kinda want a 2nd one, as it seems two would have a better chance against something to big, and it would give her company, besides the goats, but we will see how it goes with her first I guess...unless we just happen to come across another free one close! :)

The goats just don't know what to do with her. They didn't want to be around her at all at first, and spent the first two days snorting and stomping their feet in anger at having a large dog in the same fenced in area as they were. They were NOT happy campers! They have gotten better already though, they aren't friends yet, but they will get to within 10 feet, and closer if food is involved. The photo below, is them, that first day, when I went out with Yani to meet them. They wouldn't come up to me for anything, cause I had this large furry thing following me around. LOL They even spent the night in the corner of the pasture, instead of over by their shed, because they would have had to go by Yani....and there wasn't enough room between her and the creek (even though there was probably a hundred feet or so) to get around her, and over to the shed. I wonder what they would have done, had it started raining!! *snicker*

Anyway, as I said in the title, today should be Monday! For two reasons. It seems like I've done nothing but chase goats today, as they seemed to want to get out, and eat apples all day. This morning bright and early, I was sitting here in my office, checking e-mail, and heard Yani start barking. So I informed DH, who was actually dressed, and he went and checked (as I couldn't see anything from the house) and he found the goats were out on the driveway. I got dressed real quick, and went out to help get them in. It wasn't to hard the first time, they wanted the grain that DH had. Then he went walking around, to try to find where they got out, and silly goats that they are...they "showed" him, by getting out again!

It was a little more difficult to get them in this time, till finally DH caught our little "queen of the barn" and drug her to the gate...the other three that were out, followed her and we got them in. The Queen is about to be booted, if this keeps up!! (She is the one in this old photo laying down.) This afternoon, while DH was up at the neighbors, she got out again, this time at least she didn't bring her friends with her, but I told DH, she is LUCKY this isn't Monday, cause if it was, he might have to throw her in the back of the truck, and take her to the sale barn!! So First of all, it should be Monday, with the day I've had, and 2nd it should be, so we could get rid of her, before I get to where I don't want to again. *giggle* She is one of the first babies that was born on OUR farm, so I really hate to get rid of her...and we don't have all that many goats, so hate to get rid of any of them too. LOL However I'm almost mad enough at her today, to want to...so she better watch it, her days could be numbered!!

Wow, all that, to tell one little story about how my day is going...*giggle*.

This afternoon...wanted to this morning, but ran out of time...I made some apple sauce!! Not enough, so will be working on more tomorrow, and probably the next day, but I got a start anyway. I'm not sure how much I need, to fill up the jars I want to fill, with apple butter, but I'm kinda thinking I need at least two crock pot fulls, so it will take me several more days to get all the apple butter done. I should have done two pot of apples today, but didn't have time to...cause then I would have the crock pot full, and started. I need two big pots of apples to make one batch of apple butter, so I'm half way. If all goes well, tomorrow I'll have the first batch cooking. I used the food mill my Mom bought me today, to process the apples into apple sauce, and it was SOOOOO much nicer than what I did two years ago, and WAY faster!! I'm so happy I have it, Thanks again Mom!!! :)

The photo I took doesn't really make the apple sauce look real good, but I'm sure it is....I haven't tasted it, cause it was hot, and didn't appeal to me. LOL I just loved using my new toy though, and had to show you all that I did.

As you can see, I'm not getting any scrappin done, so had to share some photos instead. Maybe by the middle of Sept I can get back to doing a couple a week anyway...if not, then hopefully by October. We will see how things go. I hope all of you are having a good week. I'm hoping mine gets better! LOL DH has fixed part of the fence, so maybe it will slow them down. They discovered they could stand on the woven wire and push it down, and then sneak out between it and the barbed wire....so he has been putting wire between all of them today...but it could take him a little while to totally finish it. Maybe since its fixed close to the apple tree, they won't try somewhere else, before he has a chance to do it all. Since they want the windfalls, they spend time figuring out how to get out to them, even though DH gives them a bunch every day. Darn goats anyway.

Well gotta go get supper now, so better get off here. Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:59 PM

    That sure is a pretty dog! ... I hope it helps with the goats... I'm sure they will be buds in no time. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:09 PM

    Yup. Yani would eat Buster for a snack....
    Too bad we didn't have her earlier.

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE to hear from you!